A reliable component in every iPhone is its screen. As long as you don’t accidentally drop your phone or hit it with something hard, the screen on your iPhone X can work well for many years. In this troubleshooting post, we’ll show you what to do if you unexpectedly discover that your iPhone screen has horizontal or vertical lines out of the blue.
Solution to fix iPhone X screen appearing vertical lines
If you are sure that your iPhone X was never dropped, physically impacted, or exposed to liquid, then the problem comes from software bugs. So, the first thing you should do is to revert your phone settings to its default configurations through a factory reset. Here’s how to do so:
- Open the Settings app from Home screen
- Tap on General > Reset.
- Choose Erase all content and settings option. It will then factory your iPhone X.
- If prompted, enter your phone passcode to continue.
- Tap on the popup to confirm factory reset.
Should factory reset does not help, you should try restoring its firmware to factory default by restoring through DFU Mode. Here’s how to get it done:
- Plug your iPhone X to your computer with a certificated Lightning cable.
- Open iTunes on your computer.
- Power off your iPhone X as you normally do. You can also switch off your iPhone by heading to Settings-> General-> Shut Down menu and then toggle the slider to the right.
- Now, press and hold the Power button for 3 seconds. Next, quickly press and hold the Volume Down button while still holding down the Power button. Keep holding both of them for 10 seconds.
- If you see the Apple logo, it means that you have already pressed the buttons too long. If that happens, you need to return from the start. Otherwise, skip to the next step.
- Release the Power button but still holding down the Volume Down button for about 5 seconds.
- If the Plug into iTunes screen appears, it means that you have already entered Recovery Mode instead. You will need to start from the first step and make sure you’re not holding these buttons so long.
- If your iPhone X screen remains black, it means your device has successfully entered DFU mode. You will now be prompted with an alert message saying that it has successfully detected your iPhone and it’s now ready to be restored. Follow the onscreen instructions to restore your iPhone X through iTunes.
Get Apple support
If neither of two options above helped you, the last resort is to contact Apple for assistance. In many cases, horizontal or vertical lines are indications of a damaged screen and no software solution could help since the hardware might have been damaged. At least, they can examine and check the hardware on your iPhone. If necessary, they will repair or replace the new display for you. However, you should refer to your warranty information to know how much you need to prepare to pay for such repair.