iPhone XS is currently the latest iPhone models in 2018, which is also the successor to last-year iPhone X. This phone comes with a number of improvements like a better 5.8-inch Super AMOLED display, and the most powerful A12 Bionic chipset.
The Face ID feature is the most popularly- used feature as iPhone users usually use it to unlock their phone when it’s in the lock state. While Face ID works perfectly most of the time, there are some cases when it does not work properly. So, if your iPhone XS is dealing with this problem, you should try the troubleshooting steps below to resolve this annoying issue.
How To Fix Face ID Not Working On iPhone XS
Before getting started, there are cases when Face ID does not work since the phone will require entering your passcode.
- The phone has just been restarted.
- You have not unlocked your phone for 48 hours.
- The passcode has not been used for unlocking in a half day and Face ID hasn’t been in use to unlock in the last 4 hours.
- Your iPhone has gotten a remote lock command.
- You try five unsuccessful times to match a face.
- After starting Emergency SOS call by firmly pressing either volume button and the Power button simultaneously.
Restart your iPhone XS
The first solution you should do is performing a force restart on your iPhone XS. With a restart, you will refresh system and remove minor software glitches currently on your phone. To force restart your iPhone XS
- Press firmly and quickly release the Volume Up button
- Do the same with the Volume Down
- Finally, simply press the Power button and keep holding it until you see Apple logo on the screen.
Make sure Face ID is properly setup
The next solution you should try is to set up the Face ID of your phone again to fix the issue. All you need is to reset the Face ID on your iPhone XS. After that, set it back up.
To setup Face ID again:
- Navigate to Settings – > Face ID & Passcode and then enter your passcode when prompted.
- Tap on Set Up Face ID.
- Now, hold down your iPhone in portrait orientation, and put your face in front of the TrueDepth camera. Next, tap on Get Started.
- Next, position your face inside the frame and gently move your head to cover the circle. If you are unable to move your head, just tap on Accessibility Options.
- Once you complete scanning Face ID, tap Continue.
- Move your head again to complete the circle the second time.
- Finally, tap on Done.
Update your iPhone to the latest version
The next solution you should do is updating your iPhone XS to the latest iOS version. When your iPhone is updated to the latest version, you will also see fewer bugs. It is a good solution for the Face ID problem on your iPhone XS if it is caused by a software glitch. To update your iPhone XS:
- Launch Settings app on the Home screen
- Tap on General > Software Update
- If there is an update available, tap on Download & install.
Now, wait for the process to complete and your iPhone will then reboot by itself. All you need then is completing the setup wizard and your iPhone is now running on the latest iOS version.
Ensure TrueDepth Camera is not blocked
If you are protecting your iPhone with a screen protector, then there is a chance that it is affecting the function of TrueDepth camera on your iPhone. So, you should try removing this first if possible and check if the issue has gone away. You should also make sure there is not anything covering your face.
Although Face ID can work even when you are wearing sunglasses regarding Apple, there are still cases when certain sunglasses prevent light from passing through. So, remove the sunglasses and then check if the issue disappears. Remember to look at the TrueDepth camera at a distance of 10 to 15 inches.
Reset your iPhone XS to factory defaults
If the issue still remains even after trying all the methods above, you should think about resetting your iPhone. However, you have to back up your data beforehand as the process will erase everything saved on your phone.
- Plug your iPhone XS into the computer with a certificated Lightning cable.
- Install the latest iTunes version on your computer
- Once done, launch it and wait for the tool to recognize your iPhone.
- Click on your iPhone icon from the upper left corner.
- Click on Back Up Now option to back up your iPhone XS through iCloud or on the computer.
- Once done, click on Restore button to start resetting your phone.
- When you are prompted, click on Restore again to confirm your action.
- Wait until iTunes finishes downloading and installing the latest iOS software on your iPhone XS. Once the process is completed, set up your device as new or restore it from the previous backup.
These are possible solutions to fix Face ID not working on iPhone XS. If you know other helpful solutions, let’s know in the comment below.