iPhone XR is one of three latest 2018 models, which is also the successor to the last year iPhone from Apple. It’s considered as the lower end model among the three models released this year even though it is still powered by the A12 Bionic processor, which makes it has the same performance with the XS and XS Max.
The Face ID feature is the most security feature on the phone that owners constantly use. Users can easily unlock their iPhone just by looking at it, which is quite convenient because it works fast. Although Face ID works perfectly most of the time, there are still some cases when it does not work properly. If you are using an iPhone XR and are experiencing this problem, you should read the troubleshooting steps listed below.
Solutions to fix Face ID not working on iPhone XR
Before getting started, there are cases when Face ID does not work since the phone will require entering your passcode.
- The phone has just been restarted.
- You have not unlocked your phone for 48 hours.
- The passcode has not been used for unlocking in a half day and Face ID hasn’t been in use to unlock in the last 4 hours.
- Your iPhone has gotten a remote lock command.
- You try five unsuccessful times to match a face.
- After starting Emergency SOS call by firmly pressing either volume button or the Power button simultaneously.
Update your iPhone software
The first thing you should try is to update your phone to the latest iOS version. Once the latest version is installed on your phone, it will have fewer bugs compared to previous versions. It will fix the problem in case the problem is caused by a software glitch. To update your iPhone, simply go to Settings > General > Software Update and download & install it.
Make sure Your Face ID is properly setup
If the problems with Face ID occur, you should set up the Face ID on your phone again. You will need to reset the Face ID first by heading Settings > Face ID & passcode, and then resetting face id. To setup Face ID again:
- Head over again to Settings –> Face ID & Passcode and enter your passcode when prompted
- Tap on Set Up Face ID.
- Now, hold your phone in portrait orientation, let your face in front of your phone, and then tap on Get Started.
- Put your face inside the frame and move your head gently to complete the circle. If you cannot move your head, tap on Accessibility Options.
- Once you complete scanning the first Face ID scan, tap on Continue.
- Gently move your head for a second time.
- Tap on Done.
Force restart your phone
Restarting your phone will refresh the operating system and usually fix minor software glitches. To force restart your iPhone XR:
- Press and quickly release the Volume Up button
- Do the same with the Volume Down button
- Finally, press the Power button and hold it until you see the Apple logo.
Make sure there is not anything covering TrueDepth camera
If your iPhone screen is being protected by a screen protector, then it might be the reason why the Face ID does not work as it affects the function of the TrueDepth camera. So, you should try removing it first then check if the issue goes away.
You should also make sure there is nothing covering your face when you look at the TrueDepth camera
Although Face ID can work even if you are using sunglasses, there are some cases when a few sunglasses can prevent certain light from passing through. So, remove your sunglasses and check if the issue is fixed.
Also read: HOW TO HIDE NOTCH ON IPHONE XS/XS MAX/XR
Reset the phone to factory defaults
If the problem still persists after trying all the above methods, then you should consider resetting your phone. However, before proceeding, you need to back up your phone data first as the process will format your internal storage.
- Download and install the latest version of iTunes on your computer
- Plug your iPhone XR into the computer with a Lightning cable.
- Launch iTunes and wait for it to detect your iPhone.
- Choose your iPhone XR icon from the list in iTunes.
- Click on Back Up Now option to back up your iPhone XR to iCloud or on this computer.
- Once done, click on Restore button to reset your phone.
- When you are prompted, click Restore again to confirm your selection.
- Wait until iTunes completes downloading and installing the latest iOS update on your iPhone XR. After that, set up your device as new.
These are solutions to fix Face ID not working on iPhone. If they work with you, let’s know in the comment below.