If you have access to a computer and can install the “iTunes” software, or if you are not using an iCloud account or don’t want to use iCloud, then you should use iTunes to back up your data. This is the preferred method.
Back up and restore with iTunes
- Follow these below steps to back up the data on your iPhone to your computer with iTunes:
- Ensure you have installed the latest version of iTunes
- Connect your iPhone to your computer
- Launch iTunes and click on “Back Up Now”
- Wait until the backup is done
- The “Latest Backup” date will then update
- Use these below steps if you want to restore your iPhone after the backup:
- Connect your iPhone to the computer including your backup.
- Install the latest version of iTunes on your computer
- Launch iTunes and choose “Restore Backup…”
- When the restoration is complete, your iPhone will then restart
- Once the device restarts, you will be welcomed with Hello screen.
- Follow the steps to complete the Setup.
Back up and restore with iCloud
You should use iCloud if you do not have access to a computer or laptop and only use iCloud to create a backup if your phone is connected to a Wi-Fi network. You should not use your cellular data as it could incur heavy data usage charges. Simply use these steps to back up your iPhone with iCloud.
- Tap on iCloud Backup to enable it
- Tap on Back Up Now to start backing up your phone.
Follow these below steps if you want to restore your iPhone after a backup:
- Navigate to Settings > General > Reset
- Tap on “Erase All Content and Settings”
- You are now prompted to enter your Apple ID
- Your iPhone screen will now switch off and display the Apple logo
- Once the restoration is complete, your iPhone will then restart.
- Follow the steps in the Setup until you get to the Set Up iPhone screen.
- Click on “Restore from iCloud Backup”.
- Your iPhone will take a while to restore; you are then all good to go!